Sunday, September 20, 2009

God works in mysterious ways

Nathan and I have recently been reminded of how God is truly blessing us and watches over us. On Thursday, sept. 17th, Nathan went into work like always, leaving me sleeping in bed (like always), thus starting a very normal day for us. At around 9 am, Nathan came home from work with a funny smile on his face saying, "I have some good news and some bads news, what do you want to hear first?" I opted with the bad news, to which he replied, "I got laid off."

Needless to say, I was awake and started to panic. How were we going to do this? I'm due in 2 1/2 weeks, Nathan's income is all we have - how were we going to pay rent? how were we going to pay for the baby? In my head we were already living on the streets with a brand new baby with no way to pay for it. And then there was Nathan who was as calm as a summer breeze.

I finally asked him what the good news was, to which he replied, "It makes our previous question about which job to take a lot easier." You see, Wednesday, sept. 16th, Nathan received a call from Maverik headquarters, where he had applied for a job and had multiple interviews with in June. They said they had to let go the guy they hired in June and was wondering if Nathan was still interested in a possible job. All day Wednesday we were pondering and praying to know what we should do if Maverik offers Nathan a job. Well, I think those prayers were answered clearly when Nathan got laid off.

Back to Thursday: when Nathan got home, he called Maverik to tell him he now had free time to come in any time available. He had an appointment with them on Thursday at 11:00 am. At his meeting he found out that he was second in line for the job, and that they weren't interviewing anybody else for the position - they were offering the job only to him! All Nathan had to do was complete a drug test and a background check and he was hired. We weren't too worried with either, so by Thursday at noon we knew we didn't have to worry about a job. Nathan was officially offered the job on Friday at noon, so in less then 30 hours Nathan was laid off by one job, offered another job, and no longer unemployed. He starts work on the following Monday.

A part of me thinks that God knew that I couldn't handle too much stress, so He worked everything out so all I had to do was freak out for 3 hours. The whole experience is still pretty surreal to us. Not only did Nathan get a job so quickly, but it pays more and has better benefits/bonuses, and because he was laid off, we qualify for COBRA which will pay for the baby. It really couldn't have worked out any better for us. We know that Heavenly Father had his hand in this and we are truly humbled that he would bless us so grandly.

Our testimonies of tithing and God's love has grown immensely from this experience. We are learning that Heavenly Father will take care of you and is aware of all of our situations, and we praise Him for this little miracle in our lives.

9 comments:

Sarah Sidwell said...

I loved to hear how your testimony has grown through this experience. You actually said "testimonies" Does that mean that Nathan has a testimony of tithing too? I know this sounds like I am slow, but i didnt really know that nathan was interested in the church. Update me!

NatPalmer said...

I loved this post!
Things like this have happened to us many times- where one door closes and another quickly opens. It really does make me appreciate the blessings in our lives and how things do work out for the best, even if for a short time we don't understand the big picture. :)

Breana said...

Hey sarah maye-
Nathan's church believes in 10% tithing as well, and since i don't bring in any income we have faithfully been paying 10% tithing to his church. when we first got married i asked my bishop what we should do about tithing, and he told me that whatever i earn i pay to my church and whatever he earns we pay to his. apparently it has been working for us :D

Lara said...

It truly is amazing how Heavenly Father blesses us and knows what we need. Thanks for sharing your experience. :)

Wendi said...

Congrats on the new job!! Is it still in SLC? Are you moving? At least not to the street.

Encore Dance said...

I'm so glad things worked out for you guys! You really don't need extra stress when your having a baby!

Renee said...

Your mom told me about this! Crazy life. Of course things like this happen when you are pregnant. I think to prepare you for the stresses to come with children! Keep reminding me of the blessings that Heavenly Father sends us and that he sees the big picture...one and half weeks without Kyle...5 to go). Thanks for your thoughts. Good luck Nathan.

Carly said...

Hey you. I'm SO glad things worked out. We have had a few tight money situations as well... but someone unexpectedly everything comes together. So many blessings! Good luck with your little one coming... I've been thinking about you a lot lately knowing your due date is just around the corner!

The Pickled Red Herring said...

Whoa glad that worked out for you so well! (Sorry I'm really behind on reading your blog). The exact same thing happened to us - Travis was laid off one month before Kate was due. He couldn't look for another job because he was already planning on starting grad school in August. Luckily an HR rep he'd just done a lot of work with arranged for his company to pay for his COBRA for two months (since we couldn't afford it but had already met the deductibles) and then he was able to do temp work day-by-day until the baby came, so it really worked out perfectly! Funny how it always does... and not usually how you expect! I just saw some facebook pics of your new baby and she is SOOOOOOO gorgeous! Congrats you two!