Sunday, October 25, 2009

2 weeks old




Olivia turned 2 weeks old on Thursday, and we are learning so much about her.
  • She loves to eat
  • We don't think she likes baths (refer to above photo)
  • She loves to be laying on her stomach
  • She will sleep in awkward positions - mostly during the day thus leaving her awake for the night
  • She will give us smiles and other cute faces when she wakes up and after she eats
  • She is ticklish, and does not like being tickled while sleeping
  • and there are many more little facts that I'm sure we will soon discover
So my last blog wasn't that informative, so I thought I would give the details of her delivery. She was due October 6th and I went to an appt for a non-stress test and we passed with flying colors. They told us we were prepared for another week of pregnancy - I was not too happy to hear that.

On wednesday, October 7th, I did my fetal kick counts and she was hardly moving at all, which worried me. I called the Dr. office and they told me since I was 40 weeks I should go into Labor and Delivery to get monitored. Nathan and I went to the hospital to have another non-stress test done. We found out that there was very little amniotic fluid so they said I had to stay and get induced. They broke my water (which was a trickle) around 6 pm, soon after I got an epidural and then I slept until 4 am when the nurse woke me up and said "your complete - it's time". It took me awhile to wake up, and then I pushed for about 2 hours and she was born at 6:53 am on October 8th weighing 8 lb 12 oz and measuring 22 inches long.

We came home from the hospital on Saturday and then on Sunday I started experiencing incredible abdominal pain and had a fever, so we called my Dr. and she told us to go to the ER. We went to the ER around 4 pm. We discovered I had a uterine infection and a bladder infection so I was admitted once again into the hospital. They kindly told us that protocol with these infections is to stay in the hospital for observation and an IV antibiotic therapy for 48 hours, which meant another 3 nights in the hospital. Luckily we were admitted back into the maternity ward, so Olivia came back to the hospital with me.

We finally came home on the following Wednesday feeling a lot better and feeling very happy to sleep in our own bed. We kinda had a rough start, but after a week of being at home, we are feeling like a happy family :D

8 comments:

dntbaker said...

i'm glad the epidural worked for you.. sorry you had to push for 2 hours though. that stinks having to go right back to the hospital. she is so cute, she has beautiful coloring and a cute little face :).. i love the picture of her laying on you all awkward. aren't kids so funny.

Carly said...

Congratulations! So happy that she's here. I've been thinking about you and wondering. She's beautiful! I'm sorry you had to push for two hours and had to go back for three more nights to the hospital. No fun. But glad you are home and happy!

Let me just put in my plug for sanity here: Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. It absolutely unequivocally saved me. I was slowly but surely dying of sleep deprivation by two months... Let's just say I recommend this book.

Happy baby holding!

Rachel N said...

I love her! :)

Sarah Sidwell said...

That is crazy that you got an infection after coming home. Your baby is so cute!! Sounds SO nice to sleep through most of your labor. How lucky is that?!? I am glad you are doing well!

Wendi said...

That is such a funny story about your labor. I loved the details except that you had the whole infection. I loved our nurses in the maternity section and hopefully you had good ones too.

whitneys said...

wow what a story. i'm so glad you are feeling better. olivia is a doll and i'm so glad you guys are having fun with her.

NatPalmer said...

Your baby is so stinkin' cute!
I especially love the 2nd picture. Because she was born with some chubbiness already, she skipped the whole alien/monkey baby phase and went straight to the adorable newborn phase! Aww...

whitneys said...

my mom wanted me to tell you that she thinks your baby is so darn cute!!! we are actually going to be in price this weekend for halloween. and then i think we'll be up there for thanksgiving too. i can't wait to see little olivia.