Monday, April 26, 2010

All about Olivia

This week in the life of Olivia has been pretty fun (seriously, what week isn't with this girl).  She is turning into quite an independent little girl.  I've noticed that she sometimes prefers to be on her own, and is very content with playing by herself.  I really couldn't have asked for a better girl.  This week I set her down on the floor to play with her box of toys while I did I did the dishes.  I thought I heard her so I peeked in on her from the kitchen and caught her laughing and playing with her toes.  She had covered her toes with a burp-rag and when she wiggled them she would laugh, finally she pulled off the burp rag and squealed in delight to see her very own toes.  I've tried to re-enact the moment, but it hasn't happened yet. 
 She is still a pro thumb-sucker and will usually pop it in her mouth when she is tired or bored.  My favorite is when Nathan and/or I are pulling off some pretty silly stunts just to try to get a laugh out of her.  At first she will give an encouraging smile or two and then she will eventually put her thumb in her mouth and look the other way, looking completely bored.  You would be amazed at some of the stuff Nathan will do to get even a smile our of her, but sometimes it just doesn't amuse her.  We have already hit the, "my parents are so lame" stage with her :D
 She has been slowly improving with her eating habits - she doesn't throw up as often and is eating a little bit more each day.  I did call the nurse to see if there was anything I could do to help her eat more and she suggested giving her more finger foods.  So we went and bought those Gerber stars that pretty much dissolve in your mouth to see if she would like that.  I put her on the ground and placed an upside down tupperware down in front of her with the stars on top.  She then began the tedious work of picking up the stars, one by one, and discarding them to the floor.  After that was done to her satisfaction, she started eating the tupperware!!!  In hopes that she would at least put one to her mouth, I would keep placing the stars in front of her, and she would keep picking them up and throwing them to the side, but as time went on her hands became sticky and the stars would stick to her hands.  At one point she had 2-3 stars on each hand, she would just look at her hands and then looks at me, I'm sure because she wanted me to help her get the stars off.  I think she was pretty frustrated with the whole star ordeal and we will probably hold off a little longer to introduce them to her again.
 She will put everything to her mouth (except for food unfortunately) and if it doesn't come to her then she will try to get her mouth to it.  I'm sure that all babies do this, but it is still funny to watch - when you put a toy in front of her she will simultaneously reach out for it and open her mouth at the same time.  In her play gym thingy there is one toy that she cannot reach to her mouth, so she will bend over to get to it and she successfully puts the entire head of a turtle inside her mouth.  In the first photo you can see the head on the turtle in front of her, in the second photo it is completely gone.  She will sometimes get the head of the duck (bill and all) in her mouth too, why she prefers to stick the whole thing in her mouth we don't know.
She is such a joy in our lives and we love spending time with her!  Can't wait to see what adventures tomorrow will bring.   

1 comment:

dntbaker said...

she is so cute! i'm hoping to be able to go up to slc in the fall, and we have got to get together!!! its been way too long. i think of you almost daily :) (is that weird?)