Friday, July 17, 2009

The Flood

Last Tuesday morning I woke up to the alarm and got up to turn it off, like I do everyday. When I put my feet down on the carpet, it felt wet and squishy. I promptly turned to Nathan and said, "Nathan, I think we have a problem." - something you never want to hear at 6 in the morning. We flicked on the lights and assessed the damage - sure enough our carpets were soaking wet, the panic began.
My sister, Jenna, was lucky enough to be spending the night with us that fateful day. We promptly woke her up and asked for her help. We had to move all of my books off of the bookshelves into suitcases and then move those out to the living room, which luckily was dry. All of my bookshelves have water damage on the bottoms of them, but nothing too bad. We also store a lot of stuff under our bed - bad news: all the stuff was getting wet and we had to frantically pack that out as well, good news: our bed is on plastic bed risers, so it didn't get any water damage. The worst for me was we had just bought and assembled our baby crib just 3 days before this incident, and sure enough it suffered from water damage as well - but, we can live with it.
All in all, we were moving stuff from 6 am to 10 am. Every time we thought that we had moved everything out of harms way we would find water seeping through the carpets. Eventually we had to move our entire bedroom, all of our closets (which I use mostly as small storage units), and about 1/3 of the living room. We had to stack all of our possessions into a tiny 5x5 area - you never really know how much junk you have until you see it piled up in a small space.
Our apt complex paid for us to stay in a hotel that night and we are all moved in now with new, clean carpets. On the bright side, it made me do our inventory on our junk and i was able to get rid of more stuff. I always say that it never hurts to move so you can de-junkify yourself. I'm just glad that things are back to normal again :D

1 comment:

Lara said...

Yikes! I am sorry you had to go through that -- what caused the flood?? Hopefully it won't be happening again.